Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Island Time!


I am on the beautiful island of Oahu, Hawaii. I got here Saturday around noon island time. My dad took me for my birthday present and it has been just fabulous! Saturday we got all settled in, checked out the hotel area, and then found the International Market place. This is my third time to Hawaii so I kind of know my way around, but it has been fun to explore. We went to eat at a restaurant in the hotel and I had what I thought was an amazing Ceaser salad. Little did I know later that night that I would get food poisoning! The rest of Saturday night and all of Sunday I was vomiting in the bathroom of the hotel room. It was awful! Fortunately, by Monday I was fine and ready do go to the beach and so some shopping. My dad has been having fun getting me to try lots of different drinks because I am finally 21. Today I tanned by the pool for almost three hours and then explored a little bit and found a Vietnamese restaurant because I was craving pho. Tomorrow my father and I are going to rent a car and visit the North Shore. I am hoping to get a little more tan because before I left I bragged to everyone and said I was going to get all tan while I was away, but since I was sick Sunday I lost a day of tanning. It has been a really great break, but as soon as I get back it is going to be time for me to really crack down on my school work! I have been on what my dad and I call "island time," which is just a really relaxed 'do it when you do it' kind of time. It is the way the people of Hawaii live. It is not like California where everything is very efficient, people here just take their time. It is nice for vacation, but I don't think I could ever live here, I am definitely a California-girl at heart.

Words of the Week:

callous: (adj.) harsh, cold, unfeeling.

knell: (n.) the solemn sound of a bell, often indicating a death.

No comments:

Post a Comment